The Basics of Godly Wisdom ~ Pst. David Tolu Adamu
Topic: THE BASICS OF GODLY WISDOM
Text: Proverbs 4:5-9
Speaker: Pst. David Tolu Adamu
Date: 9th October 2022 | First Service
Proverbs 4:5-9 (KJV)
5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. 8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor when thou dost embrace her. 9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
What is Wisdom?
Wisdom is the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment. It is the ability to be sensible and act prudently. It is also the right application of knowledge.
What is Divine?
Divine refers to something Godly, something from/of God.
What is Divine/Godly wisdom?
Divine Wisdom simply put is Godly wisdom, it is the act of being sensible in a Godly manner. Divine Wisdom is the ability to view things from God’s perspective and to act and respond biblically or in line with the word of God.
Divine wisdom grants you access to God’s thought patterns and mindset.
Types of Wisdom:
There are two types of wisdom, let’s take a look at the book of James 3:13-17;
- Earthly Wisdom
- Heavenly Wisdom and we also refer to it as DIVINE WISDOM
Wise men in the Bible:
- Solomon: We can’t talk about wisdom in the Bible without talking about Solomon, Solomon is one of the wisest men (if not the wisest) to cross the path of the earth. Wisdom comes at a cost, it is not free, nothing is free, even salvation which is free to you and I came at a cost and who paid for it? Jesus!
What Solomon did to get the wisdom he had was a sacrifice, he paid the price of sacrifice to get the wisdom that he had, you can look at the account of Solomon in 1 king.
- Daniel: Daniel 1:20, Daniel refused to defile himself with the king’s meal, one thing Daniel had going for him was discipline, Daniel paid the sacrifice of discipline and he had the wisdom
- Joseph: Genesis 41:39, the king had a dream and he was troubled but it didn’t look like anything was wrong in the land, through the divine wisdom of God Joseph was able to decode the meaning of that dream to the king. Joseph paid the price for wisdom with his freedom.
Proverbs 4:5-9, when the Bible said “get wisdom” God was talking about Divine wisdom, the Bible says “wisdom is principal” meaning it is important. You can’t have wisdom without having understanding “with all thy getting get understanding” and we have rightly established that wisdom is the correct application of knowledge.
In getting wisdom, knowledge is key, and knowledge is still not just enough, you must know how to decipher and break down that knowledge, and understand it before you can apply it. Wisdom is an output of all the knowledge you’ve gained.
Why should you get wisdom?
- It is important because it is a commandment of God. “Get wisdom” (Proverbs 4:7) is not a suggestion it’s something to be done, it’s an action word. So, God commanded us to get wisdom because it has the power to protect us.
- It is principal, it is the most important or first in order of importance.
- It will exalt you, exalt means to lift, to raise. Wisdom will raise you.
- It will honor you, meaning wisdom will make you a respectable person.
- Wisdom will give you goodwill.
Ways to obtain/get wisdom:
- Proverbs 13:20, walk with wise people
- James 1:5, ask God
- Proverbs 2:6, Learn to listen to God
Joshua 1:8, in seeking God for wisdom, we have to meditate on His word day and night. Wisdom can be applied to every area of our lives, we need wisdom in leadership, marriage, career, etc.
Father, grant me the wisdom I need for every area of my life.
Leave a Reply