How to attract Divine Honour ~ Pst. Belemina Obunge
Topic: How to attract Divine Honour
Text: 1 Kings 3:9-13
Minister: Pastor Belemina Obunge
One thing that was unique about Solomon was that he knew how to strike the right note in offering and asking. And God said, I must do something in the life of this man.
We shall be asking ourselves, how we can attract Divine honour from God; how we can attract the honour that comes from God. Psalm 8:5. Right from the beginning, God had crowned men with honour. He is not just the source of honour, he is the sustainer of honour. Even if man tries to bring shame, God that sustains honour brings honour to the lives of His people. Haman tried to bring shame to Mordecai’s life but God said no way, an he turned the situation around.
God is the sustainer of honour (1 Chronicles 29:12), but when we don’t take note that he is the source and sustainer of honour, he can also suppress and silence honour. 1 Samuel 2:30 “but now the Lord saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.”. Solomon was a man that knew how to attract honour from God. So, we ask ourselves, what does it take to attract honour from God?
ATTRACTING THE HONOUR OF GOD:
1. Concerning Solomon, the Bible says “Solomon pleased God”. When God is please with you, he will honour you. Even parents, when they are pleased with their children, they value them more. So when your life is pleasing unto God, you will be honoured by God. 2 Peter 1:17 “And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man’s work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear”. When God is pleased with you, he begins to honour the work of your hands, when he is pleased with your business; he honours your business too. If one’s ways are not pleasing unto the Lord, it is just a matter of time; dishonour comes in. We must make sure our lives are pleasing to God so that God will honours us.
2. The second thing that attracts honour from the Throne of Grace is the Presence of God. It is awesome to be in God’s presence. There is fullness of Joy in his presence. Proverbs 8:18 “Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness”. That means, if you want riches and honour, you need to go to the presence of God. The more you connect with the presence of God, the more you experience his riches and honour; intellectual riches, riches in business, riches in health, etc. [Psalm 27:4]. You can attract God presence by praising and blessing his name [Psalms 26:8].
3. When there is passionate affection towards God, you attract the honour of God. Psalm 91:14-15. Love is seen in relationship. So we ask ourselves, do we really show case the love of Christ? Does people know us as lovers of God? How do you show that you love God? When you honour and reverence him.
4. Providing service: Service is all about meeting needs. John 12:26 “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour”. God honours those that are ready to serve.
5. Finally, the Lord honours those who are purged vessels. 2 Timothy 2:19-21. Bible says when we purge ourselves from everything that dishonours God in our lives; we become a vessel unto honour. That was what David did; David realized he had given room to the wrong things in life, and he purged himself and repented before God. He that covers his sin will not prosper. The challenge these days is that people realize that they are on the wrong path but pride will not let them surrender to God for purging. Prov. 15:33 “The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility”. Before on can be honoured, he needs to be humble enough to come before God and say Lord I am sorry. When you humble yourself, God exalts you.
– My Father, my Father, I reject every agenda of shame, by your grace and power, may my life not experience shame.
– My Father, my father, whatever in my life doesn’t bring glory to your name, let it be uprooted in Jesus name.