I AM WHO GOD SAYS I AM ~ Pst. Segun Esho
TOPIC: I AM WHO GOD SAYS I AM
TEXT: Judges 6:10-16
Preacher: Pst. Segun Esho
- And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice.
- And there came an angel of the LORD, and sat under an oak which was in Ophrah, that pertained unto Joash the Abiezrite: and his son Gideon threshed wheat by the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites.
- And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.
- And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.
- And the LORD looked upon him, and said, Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent thee?
- And he said unto him, Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.
- And the LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man.
The story stated in the text shows how God, after 7 years of wickedness over Israel by the midianites, decided to turn things around; and it pleased him to add Gideon in the scene. Despite the valid limitations of Gideon and his status at that time, it didn’t take God much to bring his purpose to pass through him.
There is a beauty in God’s dealing with man whenever He intend to bring a this to pass, in that, he doesn’t judge man based on man’s current status or background. When God shows up, status quo doesn’t count any longer, but what God sees and say about a person.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
This passage shows how God sees man, a manifold of dominion, but the devil many times comes to challenge your self-image, just like he did to Gideon and made him feel as least. Your image affects everything about you and that is what the devil is attacking.
What self image is and its effects on a man?
- SELF IMAGE, HOW YOU SEE YOURSELF:
Self image is how you see yourself and how you believe others see you. Numbers 13:31-33
- But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
- And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
- And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
In the story, 10 spies were sent by Moses to spy the promise land; 10 of them said it will not work out, but 2 said it is possible according to the word of God. They felt wrongly how their enemies saw them in verse 33 we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
- SELF IMAGE AFFECTS YOUR SELF ESTEEM:
“Self esteem is how you see yourself and think about yourself. The bible says: As a man thinketh in his heart, so he his. Nobody rises above the level of his thought. Think big..!
- SELF IMAGE AFFECTS YOUR SELF WORTH:
Self worth is the value you place on yourself. In the eyes of God, you are valued, it doesn’t matter what you think of yourself.
- SELF IMAGE AFFECTS SELF CONFIDENCE;
This is the ability to trust in your God-given ability, to perform a task whether familiar or not. In other words you have the power to doe anything. Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us. We have the power but most times we look down on ourselves. Who told you that you can’t be successful?
TIPS TO GAUGE LOW SELF IMAGE (ESTEEM):
- When you define who you are with what you have. It is a wrong perception, as your possession doesn’t determine your worth.
- When you access your worth by your performance and your achievements. E.g educational status, etc.
iii. When you begin to compare yourself with others. 2 Cor. 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
- When you are overly sensitive to other peoples opinion.
- When you are self conscious about position and status. You don’t need a title to be recognized.
- When you are always referring to the past. Isaiah 43:18-19 “18. Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. 19. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”
Every man has been created with value 1 John 3:1,
- Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Therefore, live with this consciousness and explore the possibilities in creation.
I am who God says I am, I refuse to be small, I am blessed, I am a champion, I am a winner, I am loved by the Lord Jesus. Amen