The Power of Humility ~ Pst Segun Esho
Topic: The Power of Humility
Text: Matt. 23:11-12
Preacher: Pastor Segun Esho
“Matt. 23:11-12 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted”
It is better to humble yourself in the inside than to be humbled outside. It is better to humble yourself inside, because if you don’t humble yourself, you may be forced to be humbled.
Humility is a choice and not a gift. Humility is done intentionally; it is a decision you make consciously.
Naturally, human beings tend towards pride. Our intrinsic nature is that we are likely to be proud. God wants to bless us, according to his promises in scripture; but the first thing we need to do is to humble ourselves. It’s important that we humble ourselves.
What Humility is:
Humility is having the right view of God’s sovereignty and seeing ourselves as scissors. In other words, it is having the proper and a modest view of yourself.
What Humility is not:
Humility is not stupidity,
Humility is not timidity,
Humility is not Lack of confidence
Humility is not having low self-esteem
1 Peter 5:5-6 “Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:”
There is no way one will talk about humility and not talk about Pride. This is because the opposite of Humility is pride. If we would attain the state of humility, then we must have an understanding of what pride is, and as well its signs and symptoms.
Signs of Pride
- Self-centeredness. Isaiah 14:13-14, Ezekiel 28:12-14
- Unwillingness to receive correction and instructions. 1 Samuel 15:22-23, Proverbs 29:1
- Being argumentative and contentious. Matt. 18
- Prayerlessness and lack of seeking God. Psalm 10:4
- Quick to judge other Matt. 7:4-5
- They compare themselves with other people. 2 Cor. 10:12
- When you are not willing to do menear task
Tips to develop humility
- Recognize that you are a human and you are vulnerable. 1 Peter 1:24
- You need to be broken. Phil. 4:6
- Don’t be too big to ask for help
- Help people. When you help people, it helps you to develop humility
- Appreciate other people’s gift and talent
- Be grateful for what you have and where you are.
- Total and Prompt obedience. Phil. 2:5-8
Leave a Reply