The making of a true Soldier of Christ ~ Pst. Otonye Davis
Topic: THE MAKING OF A TRUE SOLDIER OF CHRIST
Text: 2 Timothy 2:1-4
Speaker: Pst. Otonye Davis
Date: 25th September 2022. 1st Service
2 Timothy 2:1-4 (Amp)
1 So you, my son, be strong [constantly strengthened] and empowered in the grace that is [to be found only] in Christ Jesus.
2 The things [the doctrine, the precepts, the admonitions, the sum of my ministry] which you have heard me teach [a]in the presence of many witnesses, entrust [as a treasure] to reliable and faithful men who will also be capable and qualified to teach others.
3 Take with me your share of hardship [passing through the difficulties which you are called to endure], like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
4 No soldier in active service gets entangled in the [ordinary business] affairs of civilian life; [he avoids them] so that he may please the one who enlisted him to serve.
The word of God intentionally calls Christians soldiers, God is not an author of mistakes, He gives names that have a purpose, and that’s why every time in the Bible His purpose for somebody changes, He changes the person’s name along with it, as far as God is concerned, we Christians are soldiers unto Him.
The primary reason why we were saved was for us to execute warfare, there is a battle going on between light and darkness and every child of God is enlisted to extend the frontiers of righteousness, you and I are called to ensure that darkness will not score a victory over us but that light will continually shine because as our light comes, the darkness goes away.
We were called into WARFARE and not into FUNFAIR, funfair can come when we have gained victory over the enemy and we celebrate the victory and glory of God! Our focus must be on the fact that there is a battle we are fighting, every soldier that forgets that he or she is a soldier may easily end up in the hands of the adversary.
What should we put in mind as soldiers of Christ?
- Discipline: this is the primary calling of a Christian, from discipline, a soldier develops several other things. E.g.
- Discipline enables a Christian soldier to know when to fast, pray, and do that without somebody having to push him.
- Discipline makes you understand that you are in this world and not of this world because you know that you have been bought with a price.
- It makes you understand that you are an ambassador of Christ and have a responsibility to work for your master, it is your primary call.
Why should a Christian be disciplined?
If a soldier is not disciplined,
- the soldier may be decommissioned
- The soldier may easily end up in the hands of the enemy
Not everyone that is enlisted to be a soldier fulfills the purpose for which his called, it is so in the regular soldiers it is also so in the kingdom of God. Discipline is required because it speaks to self-control, it speaks to the ability to compel oneself to obey rules and regulations without somebody watching you.
- Commitment: Commitment means being dedicated to a course.
- Loyalty: Loyalty speaks of a willingness to stay on a course even when there is an alternative, if you are loyal to Christ, it doesn’t matter the versions the world gives you on how to live your life, you will stick to Christ no matter the alternatives. A Christian who is not loyal cannot be a true soldier.
- Patriotism: It does not speak about just liking somebody or something, it speaks about the willingness to give yourself for a purpose. You are not going to be the first person to be patriotic to the kingdom because even Jesus went as far as dying on the cross. We have to be bold to raise the flag of the kingdom no matter what we are threatened with.
- Endurance: The journey we are on is a distance race, only those who wait to the end will wear the crown James 1:12. There are always challenges along the way and a soldier that cannot endure will give up so easily.
- Boldness: The word of God is potent but needs a vessel to declare the counsel of God, if you are not bold to confront the devil and the situations that you meet with the word of God, you cannot be a true soldier. Jesus Himself when He was tempted said “it is written” Matthew 4. He declares the word; He was in sin inside of spite of what was threatening to Him. It doesn’t matter how negative the situation is, the courage and boldness to declare the word of God is the mark of the fact that you are a true soldier on the cross. If you are not bold you will be intimidated.
- Confidence: believe that what you are going to say will come to pass, you should believe God, you can’t be a true soldier on the cross, and don’t believe God. What you don’t believe you can’t tell somebody about it convincingly, what you don’t believe will not work for you. If you are not confident about the ability of God to fulfill what He has said then you have no expectation because it is that which you are confident about that will come to pass.
- Fully dressed: Ephesians 6:11-13, you need to put on every protection that God has provided for you, God knows the devil and that’s why He gave us weapons to protect ourselves but if we don’t apply those weapons the enemy will look for an entrance.
- Enthusiastic: you can’t be a true soldier without being enthusiastic, if you lose your zeal as a Christian then your Christianity is gone. Don’t allow the devil to get to you, focus your eyes on God, focus on the miracle and not on the problem.
- Love: A true soldier will serve with love, and love for his fellow brethren. Soldiers are not alone; they work together because they know that the strength of their neighbor is the strength of the totality. If your neighbor is weak in spirit and you can’t encourage them to rise then that means the devil has scored a victory over us.
- Sober Minded: True soldier is aware of the realities around them, they are aware of the responsibilities in their lives, and are aware that they should live a purposeful life. They allow their brain with the word of God to direct them. A true soldier must be someone who is sober because if you are not, you will lose knowledge of what is going on around you. If you are not sober you cannot know the signs of the time.
- Confronts challenges: they don’t run away from challenges. Luke 9:62
- Father, purge me from anything that can disqualify me from being a true soldier of Christ.
- Give me the grace to change according to your expectation of me.
- Give me the grace to stand strong in the faith of any test to my face.
Leave a Reply