The Great Father ~ Pst. Segun Esho
Topic: The Great Father
Text: Genesis 18:19
Speaker: Pst. Segun Esho
Date: 20th June, 2021. 1st Service
For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
Experts tells us that everything rises and falls on leadership. Every man is a natural leader, fathers are important in the scheme of the Kingdom. Fathers are crucial to the destiny of the family.
Three Kinds of Father
- The Failing Fathers: they are the absentee fathers, the non chalant fathers. Example, Eli in 1 Samuel 3:13, Samuel in 1 Samuel 8:5.
- The Fledgling Fathers: they are indifferent, Genesis 19:8, Genesis 19:30-38.
- The Faithful Fathers: Genesis 18:19, Genesis 14:14, example of this kind of father is Abraham.
A great Father is one who instills value and character in a child, Proverbs 22:6. A great Father knows when to protect his kids and set boundaries.
Qualities of a great Father
- Great fathers value their wives, treating her with dignity and honor. Men that honor their wife are likely to produce greater children. 1 Peter 3:7.
- Fathers pray for their family and children, they bless them. Genesis 27.
- Great fathers provide for their family, 1 Timothy 5:8, get an income and provide for your family.
- A great father sets boundaries; he is a good disciplinarian who corrects with love. Eli failed because he didn’t set boundaries, he allowed the children to do what they want to do without discipline. When you spare the rod, you spoil the child.
- Allow your children to make mistakes, 1 Corinthians 13:11, be open, give them a little space especially teenagers. They cannot fit in your own mould.
- Lead by examples, children don’t do what you tell them per say, they do what they see you do. Whatever you want them to do, do it. Lead by example.
- Communicate well, teach them finance, savings, budgeting.
- Show them unconditional love, show them the AGAPE LOVE and don’t expect them to be like you. Verbalize your love.
But above all, the message will not be complete if we don’t get back to our Almighty Father. The prodigal son said ‘I will arise and go back to my Father’ (Luke 15:8) and the good thing about the Almighty Father is that He is a loving father, He doesn’t care how long you’ve been gone, He is always here to receive you.
You cannot get the reward of the father, if you are not with the father. When the prodigal son left, everything was upside down, it was when he came back to that he got the best reward of things.
My Father, my Father in the name of Jesus, I pray for the Fathers, Lord the wisdom, the knowledge, the understanding to be great fathers, give unto them, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!
Leave a Reply