Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual songs ~ Pst. Segun Esho
Topic: Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual songs
Text: Ephesians 5:19, Col. 3:16, 2Tim. 3:16
Peacher: Pastor Segun Esho
Every word you see in the bible has a reason why it is in the bible. That means we should take not of God counsel in the two different scriptures we read on the matter of Psalms, hymns and spiritual song.
Psalm: A Psalm is a spiritual song or poem, which sometimes may not have rhythm; but it normally takes its truth from the scripture. It can be sung, it can be chanted, it can be recited. A psalm can be accompanied by instruments
Hymns: Hymns are God-centred and calls our attention upward. In other words, when you sing a hymn, there is this direction to heaven. Its purpose is to reverence God. In most cases, it is sung congregationally. Hymns are formal and traditional in nature.
Spiritual song: These are spontaneous songs inspired by the holy spirit. 1 Cor. 14:15. we know about speaking in tongues, but we can also sing in tongues.
Benefits of singing Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs
- It helps us to be Biblically faithful in our prayers. in other words, when you pray with psalms you are turned back to the scripture
- It frees us from boredom of saying the same thing repeatedly
- It helps us to be more focus
- When you pray with the psalms, it helps you to have a conversation with a real person
- It’s a form of spiritual edification
- It keeps us separated from the world an keeps us more conscious with the in-dwelling presence of God.
Psalms and their Application
i. Being Thankful – Psalm 6, 84, 92, 100, 103, 116, 147, 150
ii. When you are afraid – Psalm 27, 56
iii. When you are anxious – Psalm 46
iv. When you are face with disaster – Psalm 24, 121
v. When you are faced with crisis – Psalm 127