DON’T GROW WEARY ~ Pst. Adesoji Oni
Topic: DON’T GROW WEARY
Text: 2 Thess. 3:13
Preacher: Pst. Adesoji Oni
2 Thessalonians 3:13
13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
From the text, we notice Paul was not writing to everybody but to the brethren; as he clearly states Ye Brethren, be not weary in well doing. We may have brethren who should use this opportunity that we are not too busy to build better their relationship with God, unfortunately that is not what is happening now. A lot of persons are thinking about what they don’t have, and things they don’t have power to control. While waiting for the intervention of God as touching the pandemic, we are expected to renew our strength (Isaiah 40:31). Paul writing also to Galatian brethren in Gal. 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Now is you sow when it’s planting season, you’ll agree that the planting season is not always pleasant but when you remain patient and nurture the seed unto harvest, the harvest season comes with smile and rejoicing. We see in this letter to the Galatian brethren that the condition to reaping is not fainting.
CAUSES OF WEARINESS
1. Hope differed: when you are doing something consistently, in hope that at some point you will get something out of your investment. If it eventually didn’t turn out as expected, one’s hope is said to be differed. Proverb 13:12 “Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life”
2. Events around us: Many times things we see happen around us can make one weary. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
3. When you begin to judge yourself by what happen to others, forgetting that God walks with us on individual basis. “Psalms 91:7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 91:8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.”
4. Faithlessness: This can actually affect us, and this is why we must always pray that God strengthens our faith from time to time. (Luke 22:31-32). Sometimes you just need your faith to be strengthened by the spirit in your inner man.
5. Temptation by the devil. Job was tried in every area of his life you can ever think of, but he did not give up on God.
6. Focusing on the reward instead of the rewarder.
Regardless of the causes of weariness, we need to encourage ourselves not to get weary, so that we can reap of the promises God has made. Do you really know that your next effort may be that which will trigger what God has for you, and if you don’t do that which you are supposed to do, then you might get to a point where you will have a problem.
We must know that God has set in motion a law of life, and that’s the fact that, either we like it or not, there’s always going to be seed time and harvest; our good doing is the seed time. Now what is well doing? This is simply the practice of doing good, that’s having a good conduct, virtue, etc. Matt. 5:16. Example of well doing is – faithful in your relationship with God, in tithing, prayerfulness, right living. On the other hand, when we talk of weariness, what do we really mean. Weariness is a feeling of extreme tiredness, especially as a result of excessive assertion. Ecc. 3 says there is time for everything under the earth. What you are doing now is seed and there will be time for harvest. Gal. 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Psalms 126:5 “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.”
THINGS ABOUT WELL DOING THAT NEEDS CONSISTENCY
i. Prayer: Prayer is a commodity in life that requires great consistency, the bible say ask till your joy is full. May you not get to that point where you’ll abandon praying in Jesus name. Luke 18 gives an illustration of the power of consistent and persistent prayer.
ii. Profession of faith: Psalm 27:13
iii. Love: don’t cease to dispense love to people. Of course there are people you’d show love to, who will in return look for your downfall but continue to show your love. As you are showing them love, there is something that you are putting in your store house. God may not use these persons but someone else to give you your reward.
iv. Fellowship: No matter what, even if people despise you, never let anything affect your fellowship with God and the brethren. The scriptures says: “Not forsaking the assembly of the brethren as the manner of some is”. Proverbs 27:17 “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend”. That’s what fellowship is all about.
v. Tithe and offering: Ecc. 11:6 You don’t know the particular seed you are going to give that will bring your breakthrough, so don’t be weary in giving. Psalm 20:1-3
vi. Helping the needy. Acts 9:36-39
When you are not weary in well doing, God works out things for you in his time and season, miracles break forth on your behalf. You may say I’ve been good and nothing seems to be forth coming; wait and see what the one that knows the end from the beginning will do. God will definitely take charge. If you do what God wants you to do, he will do what he has planned for you.
- If you are yet to receive Jesus into your life, that’s the first good doing you will be doing for your life. Ask the Lord to come into your life and have mercy on you in Jesus name.
- Father in the name of Jesus, I thank you; we ask for every of your children that may be discourage to receive strength and intervention in Jesus name.