Do not despise the ministry of the word of God – Pst Adesoji Oni
Topic: Do not despise the ministry of the word of God
Text: Isaiah 30:11-12
Preacher: Pst Adesoji Oni
Most of the time, we are not able to manifest as at the level that God expects us to be, not because God’s hands are shortened that it cannot reach us, as Isaiah 59:1-2 says, neither is his ear heavy that he cannot hear but our iniquity have caused separation between us and God. And often times when we talk about iniquity, our heart quickly goes to people who have stolen, committed murder, fornication, adultery and the likes; but one of the major problem that we may encounter in life even as believers is the deficiency of not paying attention to the word of God. You might be thinking that you are right but you are actually on the wrong direction. It is by the word you know what to do.
- The word and your relationship with God
Bible says in Isaiah 30:11-13
- Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
- Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon.
- Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
It is the word that actually helps us to brighten or smoothen our relationship with God, and often time this word is despised by many. What does it mean to despise? To despise the word means to have disregard or you treat with content the word.
A preacher once said in his message; “Don’t forget the Jaw bone of the Ass”. With the jaw bone of the Ass, Samson was able to defeat a host of the enemy, but at a point he forgot it. The bible also mentioned to us: Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set. Proverbs 22:28.
- The word as the source of your faith and strength
Colossians 3:16a says:
16.) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all
Sometimes, the word look simple to us, but the simple word does amazing things that we can never imagine. A word that you pick from a message, while you are studying the scripture may be something that will settle you for the next 30 years, you may not know.
It is the word of God that gives you strength, altho
ugh it might not give you physical strength; like you may be on fasting 21 days and you are taking only fluid, but if you have been feeding on God’s word, there is an inner strength that comes in you. Paul prayed in Ephesians 3:16 “That God would strengthen you by his spirit in the inner man”. The inner strength controls the outside, when you have the inner strength it keeps you going. With such strength, you can face the devil face to face.
- And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
- As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
- Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
In this scripture, Caleb held on to the word he received 45 years ago, as such it sponsored an inner strength in him up till that time and it kept him going.
So anyone who despises the word, might mis
s out in what the word would have offered him. God’s word can also come from anybody. This is why the scripture says in Proverb.
- Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
- The word as a provision for all that we need in life
When you sit down and begin to ruminate over the word of God we have received, that word begins to work in your life, and you begin to experience certain things could possibly imagine. Do you know that in the word we have several forms of ministration: Healing, victory, breakthrough, and anything you can ever think of in life. There are several things that the Lord has concealed in the word that can keep you on a journey of discovery until eternity.
- It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
The Lord has made us kings and priests, it is for us to search out what God has kept for us in this world. Let’s keep going through it, like he told Joshua in Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”
Today, make up your mind in your closet, in the church, anywhere you have an opportunity for the word, that you will give yourself to it. God’s word is what makes you today. Everything was created by the word. If everything was created by the word, what is it that you are faced with that can’t be corrected by the word.
Pray that the Lord give you grace to take his word as serious as it should be in your life.
Leave a Reply