Divine Blessing ~ Pastor Adesoji Oni
Topic: Divine Blessing
Text: Proverbs 10:22
Preacher: Pastor Adesoji Oni
The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
There are blessings that can make rich and give sorrow to go with it. When we talk of blessing by definition; it talks of God’s Favour and protection. Now favour is something that changes a man’s life. Favour most time is an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual. There are many ways God can favour man, God can favour a man through his blessing, for example finding a wife, as the scripture says “He that finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtain favour of God”.
Two major sources of blessings are: spiritual and physical. What many persons see as blessing is a check of 1 million naira, a good car, well-furnished house, and other tangible things that the eyes can behold. As good as it looks, there are also spiritual blessings that are intangible to the eyes but potent enough to affect a man’s life. For instance, when you tell someone “God bless you”, he would rather prefer you give him money to you saying “God bless you”.
The spiritual itself controls the natural, when you are blessed spiritually, then you are blessed in every area of your life because the spiritual makes God dwells with. When we talk about divine blessing, we mean the blessing that comes from the holy one. Even when we look at the spiritual blessings that is the intangible blessing, it comes from two major sources – the living God; this is the blessing we had earlier said maketh rich and adds no sorrow with it. It is not reversible; it is all encompassing. The other side also is that people are blessed of the Devil. These could be seen as blessing in the natural sight but in the real sense it is packed with curses. Do not lose sight of the fact that the scripture says in John 10:10 “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly”. So when the devil offers you a blessing, he does so with the intent of taking so many other things from you. This kind of blessing is called demonic blessing and can be accessed through fetish means, evil works and the likes. Well, the demonic blessing is not our focus in this study but the “divine blessing”. The importance of the divine blessing cannot in anyway be overemphasized. The importance of the blessing that comes from God’s channel can be toiled with; as this blessing influences both the present and the future. when someone says God bless you, especially if that person is licensed by God to pronounce blessing upon you, you might not see it immediately such words will only need some time to begin to manifest in your life. Blessing is so important that after God created everything and made man, the first thing that God said to the man was blessing “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” [Gen. 1:28]. It is the blessing of God that get one going in life but most time people tends to go for the blessing that will soon fade away rather than staying with God’s plan for them.
Gen. 25:29-34 “Genesis 25:29 And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: 25:30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom. 25:31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. 25:32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? 25:33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob. 25:34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright”. Why did Esau despise the birthright? He did so, because to him the birthright was insignificant since it was intangible at that time. The porridge on the other hand could satisfy him at that time. Many of us tend to mortgage our future for the things we have seen to be temporary gain for us. He said “of what use is the birthright”, as many people will say what’s the use of saying God bless you to me when I don’t have money in my pocket? Meanwhile that word can take you to great places in life. Daddy G.O. share how he went for Kenneth Hagin’s meeting and was to see him after the meeting, which he was imparted and till today his life has not remained the same.
Talking about Esau: the fact that he rejected the birthright over a porridge made him lose the blessing, even when it was time for his father to bless him, nature and circumstances worked against him because he had rejected the birthright. Even when Isaac suspected that it was Jacob that came for the blessing, he still went ahead to bless him. When he had missed the blessing, he sought it with tears but could only get the residue. When you are blessed, the desirable will be made available but when then is no blessing, the available becomes the desirable.
Sources of Blessings from God
1. Directly for God: The blessings can come directly to you from God when you pray for it. Jabez is an example of one that prayed and God blessed him [1 chronicles 4:9-10].
2. By connecting to a covenant blessing: Genesis 26:24 “And the LORD appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham’s sake”. So as the son, Jacob connected to the blessings of his father Abraham. Even Laban in Genesis 30:27 “And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake”. The blessing Laban enjoyed was because of Jacob. Some years back, I gave out my personal car to a pastor working with me, few weeks later some brethren came together and bought me another car. I prayed for them, and they all shared testimonies of open doors here and there.
3. By blessing someone who is enjoying covenant blessing: Genesis 12:3 “And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed”. God is saying I will bless them that bless you. Abraham was enjoying covenant that God made with him, so God said anyone who blesses you I will bless.
4. Obedience: Deut. 28:1-13
5. When you are blessed by God’s servant. God honours the words of his servants
6. Parental blessing
7. Your boss or leader
8. Confess positive things Numbers 14:28
9. The blessing of Christ. Jesus suffered everything he suffered on the cross, so that you and I can be blessed.
If you are yet to give your life to Christ, God is able to save you and deliver you from all forms of destruction. Say Lord Jesus, come into my life, be the bishop of my soul, thank you for saving me in Jesus name.
- Father in the name of Jesus, I pronounce this blessing to your children.
- You will never know a better yesterday. The spirit of the Lord will guide and keep you. In Jesus mighty name I pray. Amen
Leave a Reply