Are you still in the Race ~ Pst. Otonye Davies
Topic: Are you still in the Race
Text: Hebrews 12:1-2
Minister: Pastor Otonye Davies
- Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
A wise man once said that “An un-examined life is not worth living”. He is saying to us that we need to from time to time examine the goals we have set, the values we are supposed to hold unto, the things we are doing, and to ask ourself if we are still on course.
Phil. 2:12 calls upon us, to work out our salvation with fear and with trembling. There is a temptation for us to believe that when the scripture talks about working out our salvation, some persons may believe that the bible is saying that there is enough room to keep on rising and falling. Another way to look at that scripture is to have the understanding that the Lord is saying to us that in every second of our life, we need to have the assurance that your salvation is sure. Why? because he said that he will come like a thief in the night.
So we need to chech ourselves. This today the Lord is saying, my son, my daughter, are you still in the race or have you settled to be out of the race? 1 Thess 5:2 “For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.”
HOW DO WE KNOW THOSE WHO ARE STILL IN THE RACE
- They keep their body under: they do not celebrate their body, they celebrate their spirit, they do not allow their flesh overcome their spiritual life.
- They do not submit their members to works of unrighteousness. Romans 3:13 (NLT).
- They submit to the will of the master. They do not put a linit to what they can accept for the Lord and what they cannot accept. Whatever the Lord says, they say yes Lord. Whatever the master wills, they are there. His desire is what makes them happy. They don’t allow their personal ideas to counter the will of the Lord at anytime.
- They endure all things for the sake of the Lord. To them, there is no price too much to pay in the name of the Lord. They are prepared to do whatever will please God. There is no gain too much for them to let go for the Lord, they are willing to pay the price no matter the cost.
- They render full obedience to the Master’s word. They are not interested in watered down conversation. They rather accept what the bible is saying and find themselves inadequate than believe something otherwise.
- They have bound themselves forever to remain in the master’s service. Backsliding is not an issue with them, why because they have said, even if you slay me, yet will in praise you. Nothing discourages them in the house of the Lord.
- They neglect anything that is in doubt. This people don’t give an opportunity for where things are not clear. They neglect anything that is a contradiction to the word of God. Daniel 1:8 (NLT).
In a long races, people dorp out because sometimes there may be fatigue, they might have developed cramps, etc. Some of us as christians have developed spiritual cramps, some have become weighed down gasping for breathe. What interests you at salvation no longer does. Today, the Lord is reminding us that we are in a race and we must get to the finish line. And the only way you can get to the finish line is that you must remain in the race.
My father, my father, sustain me in this race in the name of Jesus.